Extra income & help our region
Community Builders has created a turn key solution to affordable housing
To YOU (The Property Owner)
- Opportunity to be a part of the solution to the lack of affordable housing
Additional rental income
- Ability to downsize without moving
- Potential tax deductions under the Income Tax Act
- Increased property value
- Increased mortgage financing and/or the ability to pay down mortgage faster
- Potential for more funding by contracting with us rather than independently
- Landlords are walked through the process step-be-step and free from the paperwork and property management duties.
Benefits To OUR COMMUNITY
- Increases affordable housing stock by contributing to the City of Barrie’s plan to create 840 new affordable housing units and Simcoe County’s goal of 2685 units, by 2024.
- Decreases the wait times for affordable housing for those who need it.
- More individuals and families can afford housing and avoid homelessness.
- More families out of shelters and into housing.
- More low-income individuals and families living in safe housing that they can afford improves the health and well-being of our community and society as a whole.
How Does It Work?
Fill out the questionnaire
Meet with Our Team
File the Paperwork
Community Builders will complete the necessary permits (Zoning Compliance Certificate,Building Permit, Registration Certificate) on your behalf (after authorization).
Apply for Funding
Community Builders will direct you to the correct contacts at the County of Simcoe to determine eligibility for forgivable loans, grants, etc.
Community Builders will construct the suite and schedule all necessary inspections.
Being a Landlord
Finding an Occupant
If you choose to work with Redwood once you have received occupancy in your Second Suite, your tenant is Redwood Park Communities, whose coordinators will assign pre-screened occupants to your suite and consistently keep it occupied.
If Something Goes Wrong
Community Builders will repair any damages (above and beyond normal wear and tear) caused by the occupant at no additional cost to you.
Redwood Park Communities will make the rent payments to you with automatic direct deposits, in an amount decided upon between you and Redwood Park Communities.
Maintain a safe and healthy environment for your occupants (assistance will be provided where needed).
Personal Involvement: Since all transactions are done through Redwood Park Communities, you can be as involved with your occupant as you see fit, based on your own comfort level.
Since all transactions are done through Redwood Park Communities, you can be as involved with your occupant as you see fit, based on your own comfort level.
Second Suites Contact Form
- A Second Suite is a legal, self-contained rental unit within a single dwelling house, typically as a basement apartment but can be installed on any floor of the house or in a converted detached garage. These apartments have their own entrance, kitchen, and bathroom.
- Second Suites provide tenants with affordable rental options in neighbourhood settings, while also generating rental income for homeowners.
- Once the apartment is created, the space can then be rented out to Redwood Park Communities who will pay rent to the homeowner directly.
Second Suites Contact Form